Position: Health Benefits Specialist
Pay Range: $18/hour
Under close supervision, interviews authorized referred patients to determine eligibility in an alternate health resource or assists the patients with successful completion of applying to an eligible program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists patients in the application process for third-party payment of medical services. Interviews patients and family to determine eligibility and to complete alternate health resource program.
- Greets and assists customers; answers phones and directs calls.
- Demonstrates supportive attitude toward customers, families, visitors and/or staff. Ability to work with patients and families with special circumstances, such as, terminally ill, communicable diseases, etc. that may require special assistance.
- Ensures patient records are complete and correct in all patient information electronic databases.
- Communicates with the patients, insurance carriers, third party payers, and federal, state and tribal agencies to assure patients financial health care needs and obligations are met.
- Provides point of contact for information regarding patient application status.
- Obtains information and required documents to meet eligibility criteria and facilitate payment for medical services by an alternate resource. Identifies patients who may qualify for assistance from special programs or agencies.
- Works with other services and agencies to secure patient enrollment in alternate resource programs.
- Reviews application to assure the record is complete and accurate.
- Enters patient record into computer system to assure accurate processing.
- Maintains manual and electronic filing systems.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- Knowledge of alternate resource program eligibility and application processes.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of medical file and records management.
- Knowledge of medical insurances and their eligibility requirements.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology and clinic systems.
- Minimum 30 wpm typing speed
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially Excel
- Superior skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in interviewing and customer relations
- Skill in reviewing, researching, processing, and troubleshooting
All qualified candidates who meet or exceed the above Position Qualifications or have relevant experience will be contacted.
AES provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. While working within the parameters of an Alaska Native Organization, hiring preference will be given to shareholders/spouses/descendants and other Alaska Natives in accordance with Public Law 93-638.
AES matches job seekers with opportunities in which they are recognized and rewarded for their experience, skills and abilities. AES is proud to be an Alaskan-owned company building relationships on integrity and trust since 1977. Our Services are always FREE to candidates.
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED