JOB TITLE: Payment Posting Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Billing Office
GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Post payments and notes from Explanation of Benefits (EOB) on a daily basis. Reviews EOB’s for research. Responsible for balancing and closing batches daily. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to Business Office Manager
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Requires prolonged sitting, some bending, stooping and stretching. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports. Occasional stress from varying demands. Must be able to work independently. Must be able to lift/carry up to 25 pounds.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed in a busy office environment. Frequent contact with employees, patients, physicians and outside agencies. Occasional evening or weekend work.
- Post payments, adjustments and notes from Explanation of Benefits.
- Post personal payments from patients.
- Reconcile Electronic Remittance Notices.
- Apply Quick Notes for message to print on patient statement.
- Label payment batches according to office policy.
- Reconcile posted batches with control sheet.
- Close balanced batches on daily basis.
- Documents transactions to maintain adequate audit trail.
- Accurately assign electronic (owner) status of EOB denials for research by other Business Office Specialists.
- Update visit information when required.
- Prepare EOB’s for posting according to department procedures.
- Prepares daily, monthly and yearly reports as assigned.
- Brings adjustment discrepancies to the attention of the Business Office Manager.
- Assists other Business Office Specialists as needed.
- Participates in educational activities.
- Maintains strictest confidentiality.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of institute policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of billing practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of insurance company procedures regarding reimbursements.
- Knowledge of accounts receivable practices and medical business office procedures.
- Skill in interpersonal relationships necessary to deal effectively and courteously with callers, patients and families, insurance companies, other agencies and AHI personnel and physicians.
- Skill in gathering, analyzing and interpreting information for completeness and correctness. Requires great attention to detail.
- Skill in computer applications; Excel, Word, Outlook. Requires excellent key boarding skills.
- Skill in ten key calculator use by touch.
- Skill in exercising initiative, judgment and decision making to achieve department objectives.
- Ability to courteously answer incoming phone calls promptly.
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and regulations.
- Ability to sort and file materials correctly by alphabetic or numeric systems.
- Ability to maintain strictest confidentiality of financial and personal matters relating to AHI patients and AHI business activities.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- Ability to communicate tactfully, courteously and effectively with others.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations with the use of a calculator.
- Ability to be highly efficient, organized and accurate in all work.
- Ability to balance demands of position to meet departmental objectives.
- Ability to handle stressful situations tactfully.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task; perform tasks within time frames assigned.
- Demonstrate schedule flexibility; adjust to shifting priorities; stay organized in a changing environment; stay focused during stressful or difficult situations; exhibit comfort with ambiguity.
Preferred: Some college or continuing education preferred.
Minimum: High School Diploma
Minimum: Three years in medical billing office with emphasis on insurance payment posting.