Position: Payroll Supervisor
Pay Range: $65K-$85K DOE + Benefits
Successful candidate may be required to pass a comprehensive civil, criminal, educational and/or credit background check.
Bering Straits Native Corporation is seeking a Master Payroll Ninja Extraordinaire ! Well, the official title is Payroll Supervisor but to do this job at the level required you will have in-depth knowledge of PAYROLL at the advanced expert level - the ins, the outs and back again. Payroll processes, regulations from A to Z, automation of other payroll systems, Deltek and Costpoint experience - this familiarity will be assumed. You'll be overseeing payroll for over 1700 employees in 20 states and 3 offices so this is not for the faint of heart. If you're a fearless leader of all things payroll and can check the boxes, we need to see you today!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises activities of the Payroll Staff with responsibility for assisting in selection, training, assigning, reviewing, and scheduling work, and evaluating performance.
- Performs and supervises all regular duties associated with the preparation, generation, and distribution of weekly, biweekly, and semi-monthly payrolls; delegates appropriate duties to subordinate employee.
- Performs duties associated with the overall management and administration of the payroll department.
- Drafts payroll policy and procedural materials.
- Interprets for employees, staff, and management, payroll policies, government regulations, and pertinent provisions of the collective bargaining agreements as they relate to the payroll function; keeps abreast of new developments and changes in these areas.
- Acts as liaison with the rest of the accounting department for problem resolution and error correction regarding fund contributions and check-off authorization payments.
- Participates in the evaluation of computerized payroll system products and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Develops, recommends, and implements systems and procedural changes for the Payroll Department.
- Acts as liaison with the outside computer payroll processing company for problem resolution and error correction.
- Reviews approved personnel action forms to determine: names, rates of pay, hour changes, and termination/leave of absence transactions of other employees.
- Prepares payroll data input sheets, reflecting above transactions, as well as vacations, wage assignments/garnishments, hours and dollars for all employees, and voluntary deductions; investigates questionable entries as necessary.
- Assumes responsibility for all non-routine unscheduled payroll transactions, including voiding unused checks, issuing stop-payment orders, issuing replacement checks, and preparing hand-drawn checks for emergency leaves, terminations, and late vacations; prepares input data for reporting hand-drawn check transactions for the automatic bank reconciliation program.
- Annually prepares W-2s to be sent to employees.
- Prepares and pays monthly, quarterly and annual tax reports and ensures they are received by the appropriate entity on time. Other duties as assigned by the subsidiary controller and CFO.
- Associates Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Five (5) years’ computerized payroll experience
- Three (3) years’ experience in a supervisory or managerial capacity
- Previous experience with Government contracting
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Ability to work with accounting software i.e., MAS 200, CostPoint, DelTek).
- Must have the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Must have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Must be able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully.
- Develops alternative solutions; work well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with sensitive and confidential information.
- Proven track record leading large, successful projects.
- Requires well-developed communication skills and the ability to maintain positive and cooperative working relationships with management team and customers.
- Must have excellent judgment, leadership and communication skills.
- Must exhibit creativity and innovation in system solutions; must be broadly focused and able to manage multiple efforts concurrently.
- Will have supervisory responsibilities.
BSNC gives hiring, promotion, training and retention preference to BSNC shareholders, BSNC shareholder descendants and BSNC shareholder spouses, in that order.
All qualified candidates who meet or exceed the above Position Qualifications or have relevant experience will be contacted.
AES matches job seekers with opportunities in which they are recognized and rewarded for their experience, skills and abilities. AES is proud to be an Alaskan-owned company building relationships on integrity and trust since 1977. Our services are always FREE to candidates.
Hiring preference will be given to shareholders/spouses/descendants and other Alaska Natives in accordance with Public Law 93-638.
Job open until filled